At Birch Wood, as part of our ENABLES ethos, Therapies and interventions are a vital element in supporting our students to achieve their targets and enjoy a fulfilling and settled life, both at school and in the wider world. For any child or young person, growing up can present many challenges and, and for our students, the ability to cope and manage these challenges can appear to be more complex and lead to increased anxiety and frustration. As a team we offer a range of therapies and interventions that support our students, covering their physical and communication needs as well as their mental health and wellbeing. Our aim is to provide various approaches for our students so that they can all feel settled, safe and motivated to engage with others and the world around them. From an educational point of view, when a child or young person is able to feel engaged and less anxious, they are more able to learn and retain the information taught during their lessons.
We have a multi-disciplinary approach that is student-focused and have regular meetings for all the team to come together, ensuring that a collaborative and best-practice approach is offered. Many of our students have a need for therapies outlined in their EHC plan and we have access to NHS, Local Authority and independent therapists who provide the services necessary to meet these requirements. Where a need is not included in an EHC plan, there is ‘request for involvement’ process through which any student can be referred for support.
Some of the therapeutic work will require a short input from a therapist who may then provide guidance and a program for the teaching staff and student to work with over a period of time. Other requests may require a longer-term approach with weekly sessions being held with a therapist. All therapists will liaise with parents and carers where appropriate as well as completing reports which are then included in the annual review process.
If you have any queries regarding any therapies or interventions at Birch Wood, please do not hesitate to contact Neil Eaves, our Therapies and Interventions Coordinator or Sarah Wilson, our Communication Lead, here at Birch Wood.
- Neil Eaves – Therapies and Interventions Coordinator & Music Therapist
- Steph Shuttlewood – Speech and Language Therapist
- Willem Van Royen – Educational Psychologist
- Jo Walton – Counsellor
- Tammy Harris – Occupational Therapist (Sensory Integration)
- Sarah Wallis – Art Therapist
- Eleanor Blanchfield – Occupational Therapist (Sensory Integration)
Birch Wood School Staff
- Sarah Wilson – Communication Lead
- Lee Burrows – ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant)
NHS and Local Authority Staff
- Gina Thompson – Speech and Language Therapist (NHS)
- Meera Solanky – Speech and Language Therapist (NHS)
- Sarah Lawrence – Hearing Support Teacher (Leicestershire)
- Vicky Wilson – Vision Support Teacher (Leicestershire)
- Claire Waterfield – Hearing And Vision Teacher (Leicester City and Rutland)
- Julia Way – Physiotherapist (NHS)
- Angela Paling – Occupational Therapist (NHS)
- Bev Sexton – Physiotherapy Technician (NHS)