Key beliefs and ethos for behaviour at Birch Wood School
We believe that:
• Children and young people want to behave well.
• Behaviour is a means of communication – we must ensure that all pupils are supported to communicate their needs safely and appropriately.
• With the right support and intervention children and young people can learn to improve their behaviour and manage well.
• Mistakes are part of the learning process and we recognise that all of our children and young people are at different stages of the developmental process.
• All of our children have learning difficulties which impact on how they learn to behave.
• All adults can learn strategies to support young people to improve their behaviour.
• As a school we strive to understand the impact of trauma on all students, staff, and families and create an environment that is supportive of physical, emotional, and mental wealth