Where a love of learning grows
Our vision was developed with the whole school community, with input from staff, students, parents and governors. These key concepts emerged as our guiding ethos.
An education at Birch Wood School ENABLES!
- E– Empowering students for independent lives.
- N– Nurture
- A– Aspire and Achieve
- B– Belonging
- L– Love of learning grows
- E– Engage and Interact
- S– Safe and happy
We aim to:
- – Promote success by emphasising abilities, not disabilities
- – Create a caring, stimulating, challenging environment, free from inhibiting pressures and restrictions, where pupils can grow in confidence and self esteem
- – Value the contribution of parents, governors, the community and other agencies by involving them whenever possible in the life and work of the school
- – Provide joined up services under one roof
- – Ensure that every pupil reaches their potential in all aspects of education
- – Promote an atmosphere of openness, personal dignity and worth, tolerance and respect for others, regardless of disability, race, colour, creed, gender or age, promoting British values
- – Encourage positive behaviour and attitudes
- – Provide a broad, balanced, well-resourced curriculum
- – Provide a wide range of relevant and motivating experiences
- – Recognise achievements throughout the school, by the use of appropriate rewards
- – Support the professional development of all staff
- – Develop and work within clear policies and guidelines
- – Encourage independence and involve pupils in making informed choices
- – Equip pupils to use their leisure time effectively
- – Integrate students with their peers and the local community including learning in a variety of situations and inclusion with mainstream schools.
- – To be committed to collaboration and partnership working to improve teaching and learning by working with colleagues in Leicestershire and beyond.